The Springfield Area Arts Council (SAAC) is seeking a full-time executive director who is both
visionary and grounded.
The executive director will work with staff, contractual personnel, a board of directors, and numerous
volunteers, community members, and civic officials. An optional one-year mentorship with the current
executive director is available.
Sources of Arts Council income include government and foundation grants, individual contributions,
memberships, sponsorships, and fund-raisers.
SAAC provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants and prohibits
discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, religion, age, sex, national origin,
disability status, genetics, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any
other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
The executive director is responsible for overall agency administration as well as day-to-day
management of programs and services including oversight of the budget, fund-raising, public
relations, advocacy, supervision of all personnel (staff, contractual workers, consultants, volunteers),
and board relations. The executive director provides leadership that upholds the identified mission,
goals, and values of SAAC while ensuring both its sustainability and its role in the community.
The executive director reports to the board of directors.
- Minimum bachelor’s degree, preferably in a related field
- Two years of nonprofit management as an executive director or equivalent, including
involvement with boards of directors
- Computer proficiency and familiarity with social media and QuickBooks
- Budget and financial management
- Event coordination, funding, booking, and promotion
- Demonstrated success in fund-raising and in grant writing, implementing, and reporting
- Solid organizational and strategic planning capability
- Ability to build and retain strong funding relationships with individual donors, corporations,
foundations, members, and other supporters
- Excellent communication skills – oral, written, and presentational
- Proven interpersonal skills with an ability to interact with diverse populations
- An understanding of and commitment to connecting communities and stimulating economic
development through arts activities
- Knowledge of the non-profit arts arena, Springfield-area artists\writers\performers, and local
Salary Range: $30,000 – $40,000 annually (commensurate with experience) plus benefits (parking,
pension, paid time off)
Please send a cover letter, résumé, and contact information for three professional references.
Electronic: firstname.lastname@example.org; subject line Executive Director Search
Postal: Executive Director, Springfield Area Arts Council; 420 S. 6th St. Springfield, IL 62701
September 30, 2023
Timeline – 2023
August 1 – Announcement made
August 1-September 30 – Applications accepted
October 1-31 – Interviews conducted
November 1-15 – Job offered
December 1-31 – New executive director works part-time with current executive director, if possible
January 1, 2024 – New executive director begins full-time work